Netflix just released a statement tonight saying that Kevin Spacey, star and executive producer of House of Cards, will no longer be involved in the series if it is to continue on the Internet network. This dramatic move for the political drama comes less than a week after Star Trek: Discovery Anthony Rapp alleged sexual misconduct toward him by Spacey more than 30 years ago.
However, singing from a different choir book for the first time since the scandal began, HoC producer Media Rights Capital 30 minutes later send out its own statement about Spacey’s status on the series. Unlike Netflix’s quite definitive statement, MRC said the star and EP “has been suspended.”
Being that Spacey has been intrinsic to the show since its conception, on both sides of the camera, the suspension move by MRC clearly is part of the legal procedure of detangling him from House of Cards.
Officially confirming what Deadline reported exclusively on October 30, Netflix tonight also said it is pulling the plug on the Spacey-starring movie Gore, which had been in post-production. Here are the full statements from Netflix and MRC:
Netflix will not be involved with any further production of House of Cards that includes Kevin Spacey. We will continue to work with MRC during this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the show. We have also decided we will not be moving forward with the release of the film Gore, which was in post-production, starring and produced by Kevin Spacey.
MEDIA RIGHTS CAPITAL:
“While we continue the ongoing investigation into the serious allegations concerning Kevin Spacey’s behavior on the set of HOUSE OF CARDS, he has been suspended, effective immediately. MRC, in partnership with Netflix, will continue to evaluate a creative path forward for the program during the hiatus.”